Inside State Robotics

1028A, 1028J, and 1028T will all be competing in Dallas at Worlds in April!

WE ARE GOING TO DALLAS!

State Robotics fell over Friday, March 10th-  Saturday, March 11th this year. All 6 of BT’s high school and middle school teams (40 students) qualified for State this year! Although only 3/6 teams then qualified for Worlds, they all put out a good fight! This year the game was called ‘Spin Up’. The game’s main objective was to create a robot to shoot discs into high-goal areas. As well as turn rollers to a specific color, and in the last 15 seconds take up as many tiles on the ground as possible. All games have an initial 15 seconds for a programming section and then move onto a 1:45 minute driver-controlled match.  States was held at Omaha North High School this year. Where all of the teams started their State experience Friday afternoon. High School team 1028A, scored their PR Friday afternoon for skills. Skills in robotics are the personal capabilities of your robot, in both driving and programming. They scored an overall score of 303, ranking 3rd in the state!  Little did they know this would later qualify them for the Worlds Championship. 1028A’s driver Seth says “I felt accomplished that I was able to score a personal record. Although I would have liked to better.”

High School Team 1028A receiving their world qualifying award!
High School Team 1028A receiving their world qualifying award! (Carrie Rise)

High School team 1028X, also scored their PR on Friday! Scoring a total score of 170 points. While our Middle School teams dominated skills. 1028J’s engineer Rishi says “I felt that we did good there, and it was a success.” They scored a total score of 218 points! This score got them 1st place in State, qualifying them for the World’s Championship. 1028J’s Additionally, team 1028T, scored 209 points earning them 2nd in state. Which would later serve as their ticket to Worlds! Friday was a long night, jam-packed with skills. All teams started Saturday morning bright and early with qualifying matches. Each team plays in 6 matches, which ranks them in order of winning matches. As well as other factors including the first 15 seconds of the game. Which is composed of all programming. 1028A programmer Samy says “I felt thrilled that my programming was working. Even though I was quite disappointed in our expansion of the robot, as an engineer.”

Middle School team, 1028J receiving their 2nd world qualifying award!

The high school team 1028A started their day with a rough start. In the first match of the day they, unfortunately, got disqualified. While 1028D and 1028X were competing against each other in the first match of the day. With 1028D coming out on top! On the middle school side teams, 1028Y and 1028J won their first matches of the day! Overall the day went pretty well for the Middle school teams! While the high school competition was bigger and fiercer the teams faced more challenges. With 1028X only winning one of their qualifications. By the afternoon, everyone was ready for alliance selection. This is when the top 16 robotics teams, based on their qualifications rank pick a partner to alliance with through final matches. All high school teams got an alliance! With 1028A and 1028D being alliance captains! Unfortunately 1028A and 1028X got out in the first round of finals. While 1028D made it to quarterfinals! On the other side, middle school teams 1028Y and 1028J allied together. They made it all the way to the final match, where they sadly lost. Although 1028J won the excellence award, also known as the biggest award you can win!With them double qualifying for Worlds, they were able to qualify another BT team 1028T. 7th grader Lara on 1028T says “I wish all 3 teams made it to worlds, but I’m glad our team did!” In high school, team 1028A qualified through their skills rankings, as well as winning the Innovate award. Surprisingly, only one high school team qualified for Worlds. Luckily 2 teams in middle school qualified for the Worlds Championship in Dallas. BT robotics coach Mrs. Carrie Rise says “In the middle school I felt our 3 teams, had a great 2 days. They were all top 5 in skills, and they competed well. They just came up a little short for the State championship. On the high school side, the competition on the field and for the judged awards was as fierce as I have ever seen it.”

With so many great high school teams, I was happy that we still qualified one team (1028A) for the VEX Worlds championship.

— Mrs. Rise

Middle School team 1028T qualifying for the World Championship!

* = Worlds qualified

HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS

1028A: The Fighting Chirmachillas *

Francesca Vidal (11)

Samy Chirumamilla (10)

Seth Martinez (10)

Angel Bhandari (9)

Rital Miller (9)

Beckham Reimer (9)

Cillian Rochling (9)

1028D: Calvin and the Chipmunks

Jack Zhou (11)

Fruzina Roka (10)

Jace Savory (10)

Beckett Stevens (10)

1028X: ChinaHutch

Sidra Miller (11)

Alicia Cooper (11)

Beckett Friesen (10)

Hutch Reumann (10)

Dylan Witherspoon (10)

Eric Zhou (9)

MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAMS

1028J: Bastion *

Therese Mammen (8)

Chris Holtzclaw (8)

Gavin Vernon (8)

Cameron Vakili (8)

Alleyah Flint (8)

Sean Webster (8)

Rishi Chundury (8)

Wesley Wildes (8)

1028T: Technical Difficulties *

Carter Bell (7)

Mason White (7)

Lara Blume (7)

Maddie Cornwell (7)

Ruslan Guliev (7)

Luke Pakieser (7)

1028Y: Ork-estra

Reeya Chundury (7)

Cybela Vargas (7)

David Welch (7)

Hunter Khoury (7)

Kenzo Harris (7)

Rafe George (7)

Marcel Banks (7)

Nadia Jeyaram (7)

Anoushka Jacob (7)