The Final Senior Snapshot: Claire Cenovic

Verbatim’s editor-in-chief signs off with her closing thoughts on three years of publishing stories about BT and the surrounding community.

Claire and Akshay Mehta show off their medals from the District Speech Competition.

Chris Hamel

Graduation is fast approaching, and the realization that it’s almost the end of their high school years is setting in with the senior class. For the last publication of Verbatim this year, we’ll take a look at the editor-in-chief Claire Cenovic, taking a snapshot of her life and sharing her story with all.

Claire Cenovic has been at Brownell Talbot for fourteen years. She shared, “The thing I love most about BT is the tight knit community. I love the connections I’ve made with my peers and the smiles I receive every time I step foot on campus.” 

Claire takes part in a wide variety of activities, with her hard working ethic and joyful face shown everywhere around campus. Throughout high school, she’s been involved with volleyball, speech, National Honor Society, science bowl, science olympiad, JuSTEMagine club, student council, Head of School Advisory council, and HOUSE leadership. She said, “I’ve enjoyed bonding with the younger players on the volleyball team, as we made each other better players every time we stepped on the court. Also, Student Council and the Head of School Advisory Council have given me a place to converse with admin and other adults on campus with the common goal of making BT the best place it possibly can be.”

Of course, one of the activities Claire is most active in is journalism. Though being the campus editor last year, this year Claire took up the position of being editor-in-chief. Each journalism class, she leads the Verbatim staff with a strong spirit, making sure everyone is able to write what they truly want to. Claire said, “Journalism has been a very impactful class for me. There is a lot going on in the world, and journalism is the outlet I use to discuss my thoughts and the facts of current events. Also, I’ve been able to further connect with my peers and teachers through Community Voices—a column I run where I ask 2 students and 2 teachers a question each month. I love getting the school involved with the publication, and I hope I can participate in journalism in college to connect with the campus there.”

When asked what she loves most about being a senior, Claire shared, “I love the traditions BT Seniors take part in, so it’s hard to choose a favorite. But, if I had to pick one, I would say Senior Sunrise is my favorite tradition. I loved coming to campus early in the morning, eating a donut, and talking with my peers—reflecting on our time at BT. Also, we got to write our names on the windows by the senior tables this year, which was the cherry on top of the event.”

Claire shared her favorite class that she took in high school: “My favorite class I’ve taken as a high schooler is AP Language and Composition. Not only did the course make me a strong, college-level writer, but it allowed me to explore topics I was not familiar with prior. We wrote many papers throughout the year that covered a variety of topics, such as Social Emotional Learning, US Incarceration, and even food. The class made me think about the bigger picture and how the world is more interconnected than we believe it to be.”

Claire with her senior classmates Hailey Chen, Rayaan Sattar, Stella Mumgaard, and Emaan Khan at a football game.

Claire shared her advice for incoming freshmen: “My biggest advice to freshmen is simple but important: get a calendar! Throughout high school, you will have to manage a variety of extracurriculars and lots of schoolwork, so a calendar helps you to stay organized. Also, don’t be afraid to try new things—even if you’re not the best at them. It’s important to do what makes you happy, and BT allows you to dip your toes in whatever interests you.”

All in all, Claire has a mix of emotions as she moves on from high school. She shared, “I am sad my time at BT is coming to an end, as it has been my second home for the past 14 years. But, I look forward to the memories and rich academic environment I am going to experience in college.”