A voice for students at Brownell Talbot School

Verbatim

Verbatim

Verbatim

October Letter from the Editors

A look into what Verbatim brings for the fall season.
October Letter from the Editors

As the leaves begin to change colors and the crisp smell of autumn blends into our lives, the Verbatim staff have once again been working hard at another publication. With school fully picked up and in session, the stress of grades can start to overflow within students. Verbatim can be a nice way to unwind and give yourself a mindful break as you read through our stories.

With Halloween creeps up on us, our feature story about the celebration of Halloween is a great way to learn about the history and background for this well-known holiday. Although many may think it’s only about getting candy, this story goes into how Halloween is celebrated beyond just the candy in many cultures, some examples being Dia De Los Muertos and All Saints Day. The story also dives into how Halloween started and a comparison between the many unique traditions. Make sure to vote what your favorite Halloween movie is at the poll at the bottom of the story!

The October publication is once again filled with many engaging podcasts, from The Raider Rush podcast talking about football with two players from the team, to the entertaining Angelic Analysis podcast where Mrs. Rise and Mr. Hamel try pumpkin flavored foods (again) in light of the new season falling upon us. The first Career Clips podcast of the year takes an inside look into Señora Navarro’s journey throughout changing her career in different countries, and Mr. Smith is back this year to make sense of our turbulent world, speaking with senior Clare Schinzel about the divergent responses to the earthquakes and floods in Morocco and Libya. Aside from podcasts, we have a Senior Snapshot story highlighting Guy Shipley, which touches on his growth in theater through the number of prominent roles he has played on the stage in past years. The October publication is also filled with a plentiful range of reviews over a variety of topics, including restaurants, music, and more.

This publication also includes a story about the Verbatim teams recent field trip. A few weeks ago, a large group of journalism students took a trip to UNO to hear about a few different court cases. A story was written by all those who went on the trip as they analyzed and recapped this opportunity and shared what they learned from the cases. In the story, a connection is drawn between Brownell Talbot’s Honor Council and Nebraska’s judicial branch, and the role of the Court of Appeals in the legal system.

Fall is a time of coziness and comfort, a time to relax, make some cookies, and read your favorite books while cozying up by the fireplace. Before we know it, the final two months of the year will have arrived upon us. But for now, we hope this wonderful season of fall treats you well. Please enjoy the October issue of Verbatim.