A voice for students at Brownell Talbot School

Verbatim

Verbatim

Verbatim

November Letter from the Editors

This month’s theme: Behind-the-scenes

As the crisp fall air turns into a bitter cold, that means Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Thoughts of gratefulness and stuffing our faces with turkey (or other favorite foods) is common around these times, but so is cuddling with our pets by the fireplace while drinking some hot tea. Along with the cozy November season comes a new publication of Verbatim, one that’s filled with many stories, podcasts, and videos that capture the talents and creativeness of the Brownell Talbot community.

The fall musical Jekyll and Hyde finished just a few weeks ago, but its brilliance can never be highlighted enough. Our feature story goes behind-the-scenes on the musical production and how several different parts came together to create the spectacle. November’s Community Voices also touch on behind-the-scenes, but more-so focusing on different integral members of BT and the many tasks they do that most people don’t see. Our “Raider Rush” adds to this theme as well, with an in-depth interview with Mr. Rohrig, who handles so many different activities and endeavors behind-the-scenes at BT that it’s easy to lose track of his responsibilities. 

Every family has special recipes that remember them of good times or have been passed down for generations. We have a pumpkin bread recipe and a scone recipe in this publication, and the Angelic Analysis podcast did a Potluck Panel with Mrs. Rise and Mr. Hamel where everyone brought some of their favorite foods to eat in this season of culinary abundance. Touching more on festive holiday treats, we have a story reviewing the holiday drinks at Starbucks. For this publication’s sushi review, we have a grocery store battle between which is better: Hy-Vee, Whole Foods, or the Asian Market. With Thanksgiving coming up very soon, which is a day full of food and stuffed stomachs, it’s especially important to think of those who aren’t as fortunate and struggle with meeting their basic needs. The National Honors Society has been hosting a food drive for the past few weeks and there’s still three days left for anyone to donate non perishable items. All the food collected will be donated to Completely Kids where meals will be provided for kids who go home to empty fridges.

Apart from food, Thanksgiving break can also be filled with extra downtime that we can take advantage of by informing ourselves of many different topics. November’s publication includes an informative story on the 2023 Israel-Hamas war, touching on the different points of view that exist surrounding the subject, and this month’s “Making Sense with Mr. Smith” podcast fills in even more information on this controversial topic. If you’re looking for a more unique topic to read, this month’s video game review does its best to make sense of the game with the lowest user rating on Metactic. In our monthly recurring Music of the Students story, this publication covers Billie Eilish and the growth throughout her career. We have a new podcast this month called Soundclash that touches on music as well, especially focusing on the different genres and artists through a range of lenses.

After bloated stomachs next Thursday, there’s no better way to spend the next day than to go on a shopping spree with all the best deals. At BT, we’re fortunate and very thankful to have the whole week off of school for Thanksgiving break, and hopefully this time is filled with warmth, gratitude, and love for you and your family. Before we know it, finals will be around the corner which means the first semester will be coming to an end. Until then, please enjoy the November issue of Verbatim.