Hot Takes: BT School Uniform

For many Brownell-Talbot School students, wearing a uniform everyday has been a reality for years. Whether it’s the forest green polo, the multicolored plaid skirt, or the navy blazer, the BT uniform has stood the test of time. While there are many positives of wearing the same outfit everyday, there are also some drawbacks. Listen in to hear BT’s student body’s “Hot Takes” on the uniform they all know and..sometimes…love!

For the first time, BT began to allow students to wear whatever socks and shoes they would like (with a few exceptions) during the 2019-2020 school year. Since students did not particularly enjoy wearing dress shoes and knee high or dress socks everyday, this change pleased the students.

Speaking of uniform-related changes, BT recently released a forest green crewneck with a classic cream colored logo on it. Within hours, almost every member of the student body was fashioning the trendy crewnecks. Members of the student body had a lot of positive feedback to say regarding the crewnecks, with some of the remarks including “I really love the green crew necks. They’re different from the normal navy blue and I think it’s a nice change” and “These new green sweatshirts have clearly been all the rage” (Mumgaard ’23 and Reimer ’23).

I really love the green crew necks. They’re different from the normal navy blue and I think it’s a nice change.

— Stella Mumgaard

While BT students positively responded to the above mentioned uniform changes, there are still some sore subjects involving the BT school uniform. For one, the girl’s school uniform is made up of a skirt, and if desired, navy blue leggings. While some girls are satisfied with the navy blue leggings, many of the girls who wear skirts have expressed their desire to have the ability to wear sweatpants or non-navy leggings under their skirts. This discussion has only become more and more popular as the seasons are getting increasingly colder.

For most, wearing a mask has been a seamless addition to the BT uniform.

Thankfully, with the help of BT’s marketing and design staff, as well as administration, students’ opinions on the uniform are listened to. Students have expressed their desire for more BT merch in colors other than the basic bright yellow and blue, as well as the want for more out of uniform days.

Regardless of student’s views on the uniform, almost every member of the student body can conclude that wearing a uniform is more simplistic than picking out something different to wear to school every day.