The Ivy and the Ashlar

Brownell Talbot’s annual creative writing and art publication is available for all students, faculty, and staff who would like a copy

Cover image photograph taken by Cami Kotouc.

The 2021–2022 edition of The Ivy and the Ashlar has been compiled, edited, and printed. This year’s issue is subtitled “Shantih” in recognition of the 100-year anniversary of T.S. Eliot’s iconic poem The Waste Land, as that word is repeated three times at the end of the poem, serving as both an allusion to the Upanishads and as Eliot’s attempt to invoke a sense of inner peace as he closes out his most challenging poem.

Included in the “Shantih” edition of The Ivy and the Ashlar is poetry, prose, photography, and artwork spanning all of Middle School and Upper School. For the first time this year’s edition has also been printed all in color, so the visual art is particularly stunning and shows off the immense talent of BT’s student artists.

This year’s editor-in-chief was graduating senior Kidman Ip, and she was assisted by fellow seniors Riley Hawkins and Audrey Klinefelter (who composed the introductory essay on the theme of “Shantih”). Freshman Fruzsina Roka also made significant contributions to this year’s edition, and we look forward to her continued work on The Ivy and the Ashlar in the future.

Copies of The Ivy and the Ashlar have been distributed to MS and US English faculty, so any students who are interested in acquiring a copy can request one from their English teacher. Extra copies are available, so if one classroom runs out, there are more to be had in Dr. Low’s classroom.

We hope you enjoy this year’s edition, and be on the lookout for calls for submissions next year for this and other writing contests sponsored by Verbatim!