Hot Takes: Finals

“DSC01740” by Jordan Weaver is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

While December is a month full of hot coco, chilly snowy weather, and holiday cheer, it is also arguably one of the most stressful times of the year for Browenll Talbot’s Upper School students due to one thing: Finals Week. This week, which is full of long tests worth a significant amount of each student’s grade, often leads to stress and anxiety in student’s lives. Although taking final exams is not a fan favorite among test takers, there are perks to finals week: the ability to leave campus, overloading on comfort food, or the extra time to sleep in in the morning.

Finals week is a paradoxical balance of stress and downtime.

When asked about finals week, many students had something to say. The most common themes heard among the student body is that finals worth 15% of the class grade is too much, final projects are preferred over final exams, and the fact that students only have to be on campus when they are scheduled for an exam is greatly enjoyed and appreciated. In their free time during finals week, students find themselves doing many things. One student, Hailey Chen, ’23, enjoys getting food during her finals week free time: “Finals week is very stressful, and I have found my favorite de-stresser is getting boba tea with friends. This allows me time to drink my favorite beverages and have relatable conversations with my peers.” Just as Chen described, sophomore Frida Silva believes there are bonus’ to finals week: “Since I live somewhat far away from Brownell Talbot, I have to wake up early in the morning to get to school on time. During finals week, I believe it is important for students to take care of themselves and prioritize their well being and mental health.”

A big part of taking care of yourself is getting enough sleep, consuming nutritious foods, and finding ‘me’ time.

— Frida Silva

It is important that students come together during this time, treat each other with kindness, and understand that everyone handles stress differently. Holding the door for someone else or going to bed a little bit earlier than usual are small gestures that make a big difference. Whatever it is, try to do something every day this week to improve your mood and the spirits of others—because you never know how positively it will impact the life of someone else.