Music Review: SOUR by Olivia Rodrigo

While Olivia Rodrigo’s album, SOUR, was released in May of 2021, the media has not stopped conversing about the album. This was a change from 2020, as the name “Olivia Rodrigo” did not blow up until the release of her single, “Drivers License,” in January of 2021. Whether you are a teenage girl or an adult expanding your music taste, Rodrigo’s album is something to take a listen to. Not only does 11 song album dip into a variety of music genres, but it speaks of topics that relate to the lives of thousands of people. According to reporters from Just Jared Jr., Rodrigo is working towards becoming known as a more diverse artist: “I suppose I’m considered a pop artist, but I’ve never felt like one. This album is full of stuff that I like, which is so diverse. I think anyone can find something they like hidden in one of the songs.” Just as Rodrigo claimed, Mia Hatcher, ‘24, also believes Rodrigo is a diverse artist: “Although I do not listen to SOUR on a regular basis, I believe it has a song for every mood. Whether you are feeling sad or confident, Olivia’s music does not fail to fit your mood.” The diversity of the music has provided Rodrigo with the following she has today—a following that is still growing. 

Rodrigo’s talent is further illuminated by the awards she has received. After the release of “Drivers License,” the song’s popularity skyrocketed, as it ranked number one on the Billboard Hot 100 list. Not only was that a huge accomplishment in itself, but Rodrigo is one of the youngest artists to ever achieve that, as she is only 18 years old. In addition to many of her other songs making the Billboard Top 100 list, Rodrigo’s album broke the Spotify record for “Most Streamed Album in a Week by a Female Artist.” If Olivia Rodrigo did not take a leap of faith and expand her movie career into a music career, she would not be the famous, well-rounded individual she is today. Rodrigo had to make many sacrifices in order to get the fame she has today, and this is recognized by her fans, “She took a lot of risks, which really worked out for her (Emma Gould, ‘23).” While it may be scary, Rodrigo is a shining example of a risk paying off. 

SOUR has not only inspired Rodrigo’s fanbase to accept their emotions, even if those emotions are negative, and to feel confident, even when life may not be going well. Music is an escape from reality for many people, and SOUR has been that escape for millions of people.  

Story by Claire Cenovic, Campus Editor