A voice for students at Brownell Talbot School

Verbatim

Verbatim

Verbatim

Senior Wisdom: College Visits

How are college visits beneficial to the college selection process?

Clare

The only college visits I went on were the ones provided by Brownell Talbot’s college counseling department (UNO and Creighton). While my visits were not vast in quantity, I made sure to make the most of them by asking about my planned major or by exploring the facilities. For example, make sure to ask to see the dorms in order to get an idea of where you will be living. I would also take the opportunity to ask about clubs and intramurals. Essentially, if you are on a college visit, make sure both the academic and social side of the school appeal to you and be sure to ask plenty of questions to clarify anything that isn’t directly answered.

Sidra

I visited the University of Arizona and UNO. Visiting the schools helped me get the energy of the environment and student body, visualize the size of the campus, and helped me decide if they had a good programs for what I was interested in studying. Visiting UA was especially helpful for me because of how different the environment was going to feel from what I was used to, and it gave me a chance to see the campus’s surrounding area. It also let me ask questions to admission representatives.

Calvin

Outside of the two BT sponsored college visits, I have only officially toured two schools: UC Santa Barbara and St. Mary’s College of California. Ultimately, I found both visits very helpful. Despite really liking Santa Barbara, touring the school taught me that those feelings did not extend to their university. The next day, I drove six hours upstate to St. Mary’s College of California. After walking around the university for about an hour, I elected to apply when applications opened in the fall. After several months and another tour, I committed to St. Mary’s, a decision I owe in part to my visit.

Frida 

During my college process I toured three schools: Creighton, Santa Clara University, and Scripps College. Visiting SCU and Scripps in California definitely helped me better understand the estimated cost of living, the community, and the culture of these schools. By the end of my seven day trip, I decided California was just not the right fit for me. Although I loved visiting and traveling there, considering it as my home for the next four years was not appealing to me. I learned many new things about the schools and the cities when visiting and because of this I do recommend students visit the campus of the schools they are considering, especially if the schools are out of state. The school itself may be perfect for you, but the environment or the city the school is in may not be, and that’s okay.