A voice for students at Brownell Talbot School

Verbatim

Verbatim

Verbatim

Movie Review: Dune Part Two

A movie exploring life in the sands of planet Arrakis.

After three years, Dune has returned to the theaters, spicing up the box office after quite a while. With its cinematography, actors, and plot line, it’s no surprise that Dune: Part Two has been made a hit.

Dune: Part 1 ended with Paul Atreides, the main character, promising to bring peace to Arrakis, the desert planet setting of the movies. In part two, we see Paul take on his promise, trying to lead the people of Arrakis to better lives but also leading them to a war.

The cast itself of Dune has played a huge role in making the movie so popular. Timothée Chalamet plays the main character, Paul, well, bringing his true intentions to the light and trying to never lose himself in the midst of the desert’s beliefs. Zendaya plays Paul’s love interest, Chani, who is a big part of making sure Paul sticks to his ethics. Austin Butler and Florence Pugh are new additions to the cast, holding smaller but still important roles. Each actor embodied their character in compelling ways, bringing much emotion and empowerment to the screens, especially Zendaya with her fierce and open-hearted performance.

The graphics and effects of the movie were truly phenomenal which added depth to the long three hour movie. Alongside the storyline, which originated from the Dune novel series, the visuals were a great factor in showing the ways of the desert planet and illustrating how Paul is rising to more and more power and fame. Though Dune is one of the hardest sci-fi stories to be told, the director Denis Villeneuve did a much better job in part two of making sure the audience wasn’t left in confusion the whole film; the complex narrative is told in a more modern way.

Image courtesy Warner Bros. Pictures

I myself watched the movie in theaters and I felt this was much more impactful than choosing to watch it at home. The sounds of the sand, such as the sand worms, were bombastic in theaters which added to the experience. Seeing the quiet and intimate moments on the big screen were also special since they connected the audience more to the film.

The ending of the film hints at a likely possibility that there will be a part three since it left on a major cliffhanger. The change in the character’s personalities from the start to the end of the film cannot go unnoticed, which stages a brilliant plot line for the next part. All in all, the film was truly an outstanding experience, and I wouldn’t mind the wait for part three.