A voice for students at Brownell Talbot School

Verbatim

Verbatim

Verbatim

Bob Marley: One Love

A movie recounting the life of Bob Marley, a Jamaican singer and artist.
Bob Marley: One Love

The legendary Rastafarian Jamaican Icon, Bob Marley—known for reuniting the people of Jamaica at his One Love Peace Concert during the Jamaican Cold War—makes an appearance at the theaters. This musical/drama revolves around Bob’s life and illuminates a whole new meaning to reggae. Kingsley Ben-Adir stars as Bob Marley and with the help of Ziggy Marley, he did his best to become an accurate version of the real star from the 70s.

His iconic songs, such as “One Love,” “Redemption Song,” and “Could You Be Loved” resonate with themes of love, unity, social justice, and spirituality. Throughout his career, Ziggy Marley has released a series of critically acclaimed albums, including “Conscious Party,” “Dragonfly,” and “Ziggy Marley,” earning multiple Grammy Awards for his works.

Like his father, Ziggy’s music reflects themes of love, spirituality, and Rastafarianism, carrying forward the message of unity and empowerment that defined Bob Marley’s music. Marley’s music served as a voice for the oppressed and marginalized, advocating for peace and equality during a time of political turmoil in Jamaica. Specifically, the JLP, led by Edward Seaga, and the PNP, led by Michael Manley, were fueled by ideological differences and exacerbated by social and economic tensions. Manley’s PNP pursued socialist policies aimed at reducing poverty and inequality, while Seaga’s JLP advocated for free-market capitalism and closer ties with the United States. Though, at his One Love Peace Concert, Bob Marley called Manley and Seaga to the stage and raised their hands together in a clasp of unity.

Along with the release of this movie, Netflix has announced their production of a documentary of Bob Marley. 

Overall, I rate this movie a 9/10. I believe Ziggy Marley did an amazing job at showcasing his fathers legacy and creating something beautiful that all audiences can enjoy. If you are someone who enjoys reggae, this movie is a must as it illuminates the music of the people.