Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Ramert

Verbatim’s first edition of our new Faculty Showcase series features Dr. Ramert, Upper School English teacher, teaching 10th grade World Literature, 12th grade British Literature, and AP Literature and Composition, and Yearbook. The Verbatim staff aims to feature members of Brownell Talbot’s faculty, and explore their interests and observations both in and out of the classroom. 

What is your impression of BT so far?

The schedule is very different. That’s been one of my challenges as a first year teacher here, though I hear it’s been different for everybody. I think it’s great, though, that they’re trying to find a schedule that helps different students learn.

Also, I love the caliber of the students that are here. I taught at the college level for 16 years, and when I came here I hoped that the students would be at that same college level in terms of writing. I teach 10th and 12th grade, and even many of the 10th graders are already at that level.

There’s also a lot of freedom for the teachers here to teach what they feel strongest about, and what they’re best at themselves. There isn’t a lot of creativity in other schools.

Picture courtesy of Dr. Ramert

I’ve heard that you’re interested in music. Who are some of your favorite bands and artists? 

I love music, in fact, I was originally planning to study music theater, but that’s not that easy to do. So, I went a different direction. I love a lot of kinds of music. I don’t really have favorites, I just like sampling different things. I brought in the Bob Dylan poster because it seemed most fitting—as he won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

What are some of your hobbies? 

I love my dogs; I have four of them, and I just love taking care of them. I also like to garden. I have a big vegetable garden; I love landscaping.

What are some of your favorite college memories? 

I had sort of a strange college journey. I went away to college, and I hated the place that I went. For one thing, because I went with the intention of majoring in music theater. So, I came home. I ended up at UNO, and I graduated in 3 years. The best thing I did in college was studying abroad. I went to St Andrew’s University in Scotland; It was really fun. I learned more just from the experience than the actual classes—just being able to travel and meet people was very cool.

Dr. Ramert’s desk, featuring texts she is currently teaching, photos of her four dogs, and a photo of Dr. Ramert and her husband upon their graduation from Indiana University. Picture courtesy of Dr. Ramert.

What are your favorite movies and TV shows? 

My all time favorite TV show is Seinfeld. My favorite movie is called Joe vs. the Volcano. It’s actually Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan’s first movie together, and it’s very theatrical. I also love to watch Top Chef, Project Runway, and The Great British Bake Off.

What are you most looking forward to during your first year at BT? 

Going to prom. I think it’ll be fun to see all of you there. Also, just learning the school and its students. As a teacher teaching anything for the first time, I’m in the process of reimagining the classes that I teach.

Do you have any wisdom for this year’s senior class? 

My number one thing would be to study abroad when in college. I think it’s an awesome opportunity that people should take. A lot of times, it actually costs less than going to school here. I would also say, it doesn’t really matter where you go to college, it matters what you put into the experience. I really truly believe that. If you work hard, it’ll show on the other side. 

The hardest part of college is just planning it out. Even just your schedule—a lot of people realize they didn’t plan it right, and then they have to take another semester. Just plan ahead, and don’t rely on counselors. You need to have your plan in place.