The History of Brownell Talbot Uniforms

A travel through time to marvel at BT’s sartorial transformations

A BT letterman jacket from the 1980s.

Katie Picard

A BT letterman jacket from the 1980s.

At Brownell Talbot, the local community recognizes the students for academic achievements, an ambitious student body, and teachers going above and beyond to educate their students. But there’s one other way many people in Omaha can recognize a Brownell student, and that is by the uniform.

Uniforms have been an essential part of our school for many years. Whether it’s a formal dress code for our upper school students, or a strict summer to winter rotation for lower school students, uniforms will always serve their purpose. When uniforms were first introduced into schools they were used to create an identity in each individual school. Now the same values still apply to uniforms but they were not always what they look like today. Here are some examples of uniforms from Brownell Talbot’s past…

In the 1920s…

In the 1950s… 

The lower school students also had unique uniforms that we don’t see at school today…

In the 1980s… 

Now… 

As you can see, the changing uniforms is one of the most notable ways that the school has differentiated itself over the years, even as many of the buildings, classes, and traditions have stayed in place during that same time. The introduction of the House system has also added a good deal of variety to what students can wear, with each House having a distinctive color and style that stands out from the rest. If you could travel back in time, what style of uniform do you think would be the most interesting to bring back with you to today?